Saturday, November 8, 2008

PS

We met another child with TPN (and Omegaven), G tube, short gut while we were in clinic. There is some really interesting piece of news that I have to share in case there is anyone else out there who is baffled by G tube back-ups. This child, Charlie, has to have his G tube vented every morning to let out air and residual gastric contents before being hooked up to feeds or else he will vomit. It is necessary for him that this be done every day. Here I thought that the occasional gastric back-ups that we have with Peter were abnormal and showing us that we were overstressing the bowel. I would cut way back on the feeds or even stop the feeds for a day or two and gradually begin to build him back up in feeds again. (Peter takes his feeds by mouth, but we would still just stop offering anything other than some water). Apparently needing to put the G tube to drainage for a while can be a normal event, and once that drainage is out feeds can be resumed as normal. I wish I had known that before. I am glad to have that understanding now.

By the way, the child I am referring to is the very first child that was put on Omegaven in hopes of living until a liver transplant was found. Omegaven not only decreased the liver damage but quickly got him off the transplant list. He looks wonderful!

No comments: